Recipes & Cooking Tips
- Written by Wayne McDonald
Slow-Cooked Beef Roast with Onion Sauce
(this is an awesome way to cook a lesser quality roast to tender perfection!)
1 cross-rib roast or rump or outside round
1-2 tbsp of lard
3 medium sized onions
About 1 cup water
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 bay leaves
About ½ cup water
About 1 tbsp flour
- Heat lard in frying pan. Brown roast on all sides as best you can. Place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put bay leaves beside roast.
- Put chopped onions into same frying pan. Add a bit more lard if needed. Cook, stirring often until onions just begin to caramelize.
- Add worcestershire sauce and mustard. Stir. Add water. Stir until well blended and any brown bits have come loose from pan.
- Pour onion mixture over roast.
- For a 2-3lb roast, cook for about 4-6 hours on LOW. It will take longer if the roast is bigger. I check for doneness by sticking a fork into the roast and giving it a gentle twist…if it looks like it comes apart fairly easy then it’s done.
- Remove roast from slow cooker. Remove and discard bay leaves. Carefully use blender and blend onion mixture.
- Mix together second amount of water and flour. Add to onion mixture. Stir well. Cook for another few minutes till slightly thickened.
- In the meantime, cut roast into thin slices and put slices back into the gravy.
- Serve with potatoes, rice, or noodles! SO GOOD!